Tuesday, February 16, 2010

North West Haida



Being here in the North west, I cant help but recognize the art of the Haida tribe. Ive come to know that there was an exchange between the Maori's of Aotearoa and the Islands up North
,The similarities are in the carvings and the colors and even genetically these two regions of the Pacific rim share a similar lineage and is present in the art forms and in even in the peoples faces.

This is the type of study that compels me to go deeper into tribal art. Retracing the flow of culture.To keep it alive is so very important to all of us. The more time I spend here in Seattle the more connected i become. My main focus here is to learn new patterns and build my vocabulary of symbols patterns and meanings. Its true, If you want to destroy a culture all you have to do is take away they're language!

In my own travels reshaping the flow of how cultural lines are created. Blending, weaving the fabric of life. Creating something new that is still rooted within the indigenous consciousness.

Im so very excited to meet with the indigenous artists in this region. To share, to learn and to collaborate.

soon come!

No comments: